A website practically serves as your 24/7 salesperson because it can contain crucial information on your offers, unique selling proposition, company credentials and contact details. Besides helping you sell, it can serve as a key customer support channel, lead generation magnet, or virtual shop/showroom, depending on its functionalities and the plugins installed. It can be made using various website creation platforms such as WordPress.
WordPress is a free tool that millions of businesses worldwide use to establish their web presence. It’s so popular that it powers around percent of the websites all around the globe . When maintained properly, a WordPress website makes an excellent multi-purpose tool that would help you scale your business.
What is WordPress, and Why does It Need Constant Updates?
WordPress is dubbed as the simplest tool used in building a website. It allows you to manage your content, add pages, and customise the look and feel of your website even without in-depth knowledge in web programming. Seasoned programmers and website builders also make use of WordPress to create professional sites that include features such as:
- Search Engine Optimisation
- Email opt-in boxes
- Social media page integrations
- eCommerce functionality
- Customer relationship management systems
To add site functionalities, you’ll need to install WordPress plugins like Yoast or RankMath for search engine optimisation and Woocommerce for online selling. After installing and setting up the necessary plugins, you will also need to conduct regular WordPress maintenance to ensure that everything works smoothly. The last thing you want is to discover that part of your website won’t work because of a theme glitch or an outdated WordPress plugin.
Popular WordPress Plugins
On average, a typical business website uses roughly around 20 to 50+ plugins, depending on the complexity of the complexity. It’s a comparatively small number compared to the available plugin options that WordPress offers. As of writing, WordPress boasts more than 55,000 plugins in their collection.
However, out of this large chunk, only a small fraction gets updated regularly. These tools are often the most popular. Some examples include:
- WooCommerce – It’s perfect for businesses that sell items online. It lets you create an online store, complete with a product catalogue, an inventory system, payment channel, and customizable web themes.
- Yoast SEO – Search Engine Optimization is a crucial priority for many business owners who have a website today. When properly optimized for search, a website gets more eyeballs and potentially more customers. Yoast SEO is a user-friendly plugin that can be used to ensure that pages follow basic on-page optimization guidelines.
- Akismet – Hate spam comments in your pages, blog posts and contact forms? Akismet is a great tool to use. It helps filter spam content and check form submissions.
- Livechat – It’s dubbed as the best chat support tool for businesses today. It’s a user-friendly plugin which allows you to add live-chat support so you can attend to your customer’s needs any time of the day.
- Mailchimp – Creating email sign-up forms and lead magnet pages become easier, thanks to MailChimp. It’s an all-in-one tool that various businesses use to connect with their customers.
Why it’s Important to Maintain Your WordPress Site
Work doesn’t end after you launch your website. There’s a long list of things that you need to do to ensure that your 24/7 sales machine does its job; one example would be scheduling a regular WordPress site maintenance.
WordPress websites and plugins do not update automatically. Without regular site maintenance, you might be at risk of losing files or encounter issues that may affect customer experience. Also, cybersecurity threats and other problems lurk in the dark corners of the web, waiting for the perfect opportunity to pounce.
Furthermore, if you’re using a Shared Hosting plan, failing to maintain your site can cause all sorts of issues, including getting banned due to inadequate site performance. If your site loads slowly or suffers from major glitches, it could affect other websites that share the plan hosting server with you.
Updating your website doesn’t take a long time, especially if you have a professional web developer. They can manually check and update plugins, look for coding glitches and spruce up your site to meet new industry standards.
When Moving from One Developer to Another
Unfortunately, sometimes, businesses choose to switch to a new website developer/designer. Does this ring a bell? While it’s sometimes unavoidable, you need to be extra wary when parting ways with old website designers/developers. There are plenty of risks involved. For example, some developers set up backdoor access that allows them to come into your system and expose it to risks such as spam, domain hijacking, and database theft.
Before moving from one service provider or agency to another, it’s essential to do the following:
- Request access for all the login information that your site developer/designer has in file.
- Make sure to set up a website backup. This comes handy in case you get locked out.
- Read through the contract provided by your web developer/designer and check the clauses, specifically on the deliverables and termination of the contract.
- Have a third party look into the code before advising that you intend to leave.
Why Use a Reliable Local Company that has All the Expertise
Your website is an extension of your brand. Hence, it should accurately reflect your voice, style and personality. It should also be created to help you attract the right audience. With all the customisations needed, it’s crucial to have a reliable website design and development company on board. Ideally, you should opt for a local agency so you can easily reach out to the team and schedule personal consultations if needed.
YHP specialises in plugin development and WordPress coding. We can prevent hacking and website downtime in advance. Our work comes with a guarantee that if anything should happen, we will cover the costs. You can opt to subscribe to our monthly plan, which includes everything you need to keep your website generating income at all times.
YHP WordPress Maintenance Service – How We Do It
Here at YHP, we use a streamlined process to maintain WordPress websites. You can rely on us to keep the server environment, PHP requirements, plugin upgrades and other associated bespoke coding updates. With the help of our experts, you can ensure that your updated plugins don’t crash as a result of incompatibility with another plugin or the WordPress system upgrade.
Establishing a strong online presence is among the top priorities of businesses today as more customers rely on the internet to find products or services. As a result, having an up-to-date, functional, and properly made website can make a lot of difference to the success of a business.
Make sure your website runs as it should with the help of YHP. We offer WordPress maintenance services to help you ensure that your site works seamlessly. Contact us today for more information.